Sandy Gandhi --Sandra Aranha RIP

kit carr
Sad to advis ethat Sandy died on Wednesday,

59

The easterly Indian has gone west, or to steal someone else's words "she's been curried away"

RIP Sandy

kit

Re: Sandy Gandhi --Sandra Aranha RIP

Michael Russell Capricorn Overland
Hi All, Michael Russell, here from sunny Lima, but a dark cloud today.  Thanks to our mutual friend, Mike McDermott, I sadly learned of Sandra Ahrana's death.  I am deeply sorry that I never got to speak with her before her untimely death.  We worked together and sat next to each other at Capricorn (part of the Sundowers Group), for over three years.  I will miss her shining eyes, brilliant white teeth, shining through her lovely brown skin.  However, most of all I will miss that bubbly personality, a true shoulder to lean on, we used to hold each other up, when one of us felt down.  Her sense of humour was magnetic, and even with she allowed her temper to be like an active volcano,  she was just one beautiful human being.  RIP Sandy, all of us who knew you, will miss you greatly.!!!

Re: Sandy Gandhi --Sandra Aranha RIP

Mike McDermott
Hi Mike,

I had been looking forward to seeing Sandy in the short film she starred in just before she died, called "Spice Sisters" It was in a short film festival, showing here in Darwin on Friday. Sadly, for the NT they have replaced it with something else.

I'll have to find another way...

Re: Sandy Gandhi --Sandra Aranha RIP

Mike McDermott
Sandy is now on Wikipedia, at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Gandhi

Re: Sandy Gandhi --Sandra Aranha RIP

Mike McDermott
This should be re-posted here; it's from a link from Wikipedia:

Sandy Gandhi is an institution in Byron Bay.

As Australia’s most ‘Easterly Indian’ (she claims there was one other, but she shot him!), her verbal jousting, quick quips and wild humour have endeared her to stand-up comedy audiences in Byron and beyond.

Like good things that simply happen and evolve rather than are planned, Sandy stumbled into stand-up.

A slim, tiny woman, her alter ego has now become larger than life.

Her humorous column, ‘Enlighten Up’, appears every Thursday in Pulse, the arts and entertainment section of The Northern Star – she is their ‘Foreign Gossipondent Extraordinaire’ and her motto is, ‘If it hasn’t happened, I’ll make it up!’

But I know another Sandy, a caring, compassionate, passionate, fierce advocate for the underprivileged, the handicapped, the sick and the elderly.

She has worked as a devoted carer for nine years and goes above and beyond when it comes to helping others.

And, of course, she makes them laugh!

I’m sure this collection of Sandy Gandhi’s musings will make you smile too.”

About Sandy:

Sandy Gandhi is the alter ego of Sandy Aranha.

Born in New Delhi, India, her family immigrated to Australia when she was 12 years old.

At 21 she travelled to London as a fully-fledged travel agent and worked traversing the globe, spending much time in Egypt and Africa.

She eventually returned to Australia and settled in Byron Bay, Australia’s most easterly point, making her Australia’s most easterly Indian!

Sandy currently lives between Byron Bay and Bangalow. She has been a regular weekly columnist for The Northern Star newspaper for a number of years.

Sandy is in much demand for corporate performances and is a regular on the comedy circuit in northern NSW as well as recent feature performances in both Miss (you) Melbourne in 2007 and at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival in 2008.

Comprising over 60 of her incisive columns for The Northern Star newspaper, Enlighten Up takes us on a comical, satirical journey from Bangalore, India to Bangalow, northern NSW.

The material in these columns is often the basis of Sandy’s stand-up comedy routine that is wowing audiences nationally, including a successful stint in Bangalore, India late last year.

Re: Sandy Gandhi --Sandra Aranha RIP

Mike McDermott

Re: Sandy Gandhi --Sandra Aranha RIP

Vicar
Thanks so much for your post. Yes it does belong here for all to read. I did not really know her but through reading a few articles feel I somehow did. Your article is good for those that knew her first-hand.