silver now

silver
Well after arriving in the UK early 1974,did a tour with European with Autotours in the Summer of 74 ,,worked back in London and was scheduled to do a training trip with Autotours in early '75.

 Someone suggested I meet "Wilko", we had a long chat, and with the opportunity of crewing on Overlands as well as their European program I was sold.
 I did a European training trip with Dave Rogers and Chalker in early 75
,,,,,,then the fun started ended up doing 8 overlands ,,4 Scandi /Russians ,,Europeans( can't remember how many) 2 North Africans, 1 to Pamp's (for the bulls) 1 to Le Mans (24hr race) + others I can't remember.

Was driver on the '77 training trip with Dave (clap ) Yearly, Still cant believe they let me train you guys ...
Went to Club Habitat for the winter of 77/78 .Worked till mid 78 with Sundowners ,,came back to Aust November 78.

Retreived my Architectural Design and Drafting Diploma from the bottom of the suitcase. Worked contract for Gold Coast based Architectural firms until 1985.During that time I met and married Jeni.

In 1985 our fist child ,Kirsten was born and at the same time I decided to open my own Architectural Design Office .Over the years I have been lucky enough to have had a steady supply of work. In 1988 our second child was born Lewis.

In 2008 I had a guttfull of staff and at the same time was approached to undertake the Design and Project Management of a resort in Bali ,,,,,,,could not get to the airport quick enough.
The project required me to be in Bali for 1 week out of 5 ,,really enjoyed the experience.So I was still able to keep clients happy here as well as having a great project to work on. My role in that project finished in 2009 .

 Since then just working for and by myself on the Gold Coast doing small residential projects or anything that enables me to buy beer.

Well after 30+ years  Jeni and I are heading to India for 4 weeks later this year,,,using planes/ trains and automobiles to get around ,,,we both are really looking forward to the trip.

So guys I look forward to reading your stories and hope to have a beer or 27 at the Reunion next year.
I catch up with Greg "OZ' for a beer whenever we can ..

Cheers
 Greg "SILVER"  Read

Re: silver now

And there we are.

It seems that when anyone puts their story forward I learn something new. Even though we spent a fair bit of time in each others company, Alexander overland, the training trip and between trips in London, I did not know, or did not remember several things. They include how you got started working for Sundowners or that you came home in 1978, I thought it was a year or two later than that.

Next is blackmail. How much are you offering not to talk about what you got up to in front of Lewis?

You realize of course that you were younger when doing the tours than he is now. Staggering isn't?

Great to hear from you and about you. Looking to having that beer or 27.

Re: silver now

Bob wilkinson
I see the there is a time difference here, still to Greg (Silver). I remember the little talk we had at Hogarth Place about working for us at the time I remember your then, age too, still I was good then at finding the right people for the right job.
If I remember right the last tour I sent you on was the overland with a full load and for that I hired a BIG Volvo. the owner drove it.. as you would remember everyone earned their nicknames.
Best regards to those who know.

Re: silver now

silver
Bob ,
Great to hear from you ,, i trust you are well .
 I never really go to thank you for the opportunity you gave me all those years ago. Like many of us the Sundowners experience  really taught us a lot about people and ourselves.
Love to catch up for a beer if you can make the reunion in October.