The Asian Overland on Radio National

Mike McDermott
For anyone who missed it the first time around, yesterday Radio National repeated its Hindsight program on the Asian Overland.

You can hear it via podcast at http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/hindsight/asia-overland/5155196.

Best to all for 2014,

Mike

Re: The Asian Overland on Radio National

Kathy Schlegel
Been a while since I visited the "Sundowners" site, but thought it worth while to have a listen to the Radio National broadcast.
To be frank, I found it somewhat disappointing: it really focused on the hippies in SE Asia rather than the real experiences of travel overland - Kabul was the furthest west mentioned. Perhaps I've got it wrong, but to me, "overland" is from Nepal to Turkey, at the very minimum. My husband & I travelled on the Trioka 159 in early 1977, so not only did we do that leg but also continued on through Greece, Romania, Bulgaria to USSR & thence to London. Those who travelled with us on that trip (?Coach rego?)with Gary Petersen (RIP) & Lindsay "Sundance" Cowan were certainly not Hippies nor were we rebels, drop outs or dissatisfied with the Australian way of life. In fact many were married couples, including one couple with their 13yr old son & all but one or two were in their mid to late twenties.
Our timing for overland travel was very fortuitous: it was in a time of relative peace and stability just before several of the countries erupted politically - although we were under curfew while in Peshawar due to local riots and demonstrations. Nevertheless travel through all the other countries was relatively safe provided one observed the local customs with due respect.
For those of us on TK159, it was an adventure into the unknown & we undertook the journey to learn about the history, the culture & customs, the local economies & to experience the geography of the countries through which we travelled.
From memory, most of us were very open-minded while travelling & always observed & respected the local customs & culture. In this regard, we generally followed Gary's lead as his overland experience was extensive. Yes, we drank quite a lot, but never to the point of obnoxiousness towards others or the locals & any experimenting with drugs was done by a very few & very discreetly.
Upon reaching London, my husband & I purchased a motorhome & spent the next 9 months travelling through Europe. The experience gained from the wisdom of Gary & "Sundance" plus the overland trip itself stood us in good stead, particularly in regard to personal safety as we free camped for most of the time on the road.
In all, we were o/s & on the road for 12 months but it was the overland leg that developed in us a lifelong respect for & understanding of others lifestyle & culture - a debt that can never really be repaid.
Thank you "Sundowners".

Re: The Asian Overland on Radio National

Mike McDermott
Good observations all, Kathy. I consider you just spoke for the vast majority of Sundowners / Capricorn travellers over that magic time.

All the Best,

Mike

PS Mind you, I well remember Sundance's last night on the road, and in particular trying to wake him up the morning after in time for him to catch the plane, and failing despite throwing a firecracker into his room loud enough to have started world war III.

Still, it was his last night. I am sure that on all other nights - and days - on the road, his behaviour must have been exemplary.

Re: The Asian Overland on Radio National

kit carr
I'm going to get a dictionary and look up exemplary. :-)

Re: The Asian Overland on Radio National

Mike McDermott
Shame, Kit.

I had thought that you would have been getting "exemplary" in your report card where I was getting "could try harder" on mine. ;-)

Re: The Asian Overland on Radio National

kit carr
My mind went back to some of sundance's activities,  and I was trying to put them in the exemplary category. With some difficulty :-)
I remember him filling kermit the frog with cidar at the ram cidar house..............