GY53/79

Wayne Rogers
Hi, just found this site.
Did a Sundowners "GYPSY" tour GY53 August 79 and then the Octoberfest the same year.

Re: GY53/79

SIMON ARMS
This post was updated on .
That looks like "Mr Dicks" Fiat Vanhool. If it is there is quite a story about how it ended up in Central Africa.

Re: GY53/79

So I recognize Billy Wright 'Radar' as the courier, who was the driver on that trip?

Re: GY53/79

Wayne
Sorry I Don't remember but thats him in the orange "T" shirt with Frances Knight walking behind.
I had that much fun on  the trip 'Radar' asked if I would like a job driving a bus for Sundowners. I've always regretted not taking him up on  his offer.

Re: GY53/79

Vicar
I sort of remember his face but I have no idea who he is, there is someone out there that will be able to provide the details. We may just need to give it a bit of time for others to read this and get back.

Re: GY53/79

kit carr
pinky?

Re: GY53/79

Vicar
No not Pinky, he never was a driver. Graeme was also thinner and taller. You can see pictures of him in the training trip pictures that I did with him.

Re: GY53/79

kit carr
I don't remember the bus either. Pretty sure it was not Dick's van Hool. It is a T rego and his was earlier than that.

Re: GY53/79

SIMON ARMS
I am still willing to put some money on it being Mr Dicks bus. Surely there were not two ugly, hopeless, white Fiat Vanhools associated with sundowners.
I admit to being a bit hazy on the details but Bill De Dear was on my lounge talking at length about an Italian ("Geno was his name oh"?)who was related in some way to Bill (father, stepfather, mothers lover etc) and was a great mate of Dick's and drove this Fiat on (Lotus) tours separate to Capricorn (a bit like the "Slug").
The rego is  a concern and August 79 is also a worry. I remember it sitting along  the wall of the workshop for some time, Barry Deacon was incharge, Mr Dick rang and said he had a buyer in his office and to get it ready, when we looked it had a big crack on the head and as Dick was on his way I pulled out an injector and smeared grease over the crack. When they arrived we explained that we were servicing the motor and it would be going in a day or so. Mr Dick convinced this African guy that it was of no concern and continued to show him around the bus, a small problem happened when they got to the back of the bus where the "ON TOW" sign had not been removed, Mr Dick was quick to explain that this was Dutch (as I remember) for ON TOUR!
 We welded up the head and replaced the injector, drove it around the block and it was gone next day.
I was back in the workshop doing a job for Kit from Christmas 79 to April 80 but was Barry there or Greg Paul?
I'm not going to put a lot of money on it.

Re: GY53/79

Silver
that looks like the famous "Radar" on the right !!

Re: GY53/79

Wayne Rogers
Hi Simon
Did they ever use other drivers and buses,when there buses were broken down As I have a feeling this might have happen on our trip

Re: GY53/79

Wayne Rogers
Some more pic. Sorry about picture quality  He is the one with the blue tee shirt and glasses and I am the good looking guy behind him in white.

Re: GY53/79

kit carr
Was he a Pom Wayne?

If so he might have been a driver who came with a rented coach .

Radar was the "Gypsy" expert

William John Wright provided some extremely funny moments for his drivers and passengers. I did one trip with him, and enjoyed it immensely :-)

Re: GY53/79

Wayne Rogers
 He was a pom but I didn't hold that against him. Both he and  Radar were a lot of fun and the trip was great. Is Radar still around?

Re: GY53/79

kit carr
I don't hold being a pom against him :-)

It does explain things though. Your theory of it being a rented coach is probably correct, and it probably came with a driver who most of us probably did not meet.

Not sure where Radar is, Vicar may know.

Re: GY53/79

Vicar
Radar's name was mentioned at the reunion back in October 2012 but I struggle to recall what was said about him. A funny bugger nonetheless.

Re: GY53/79

kit carr
Just hsd a look at the photo above of the group in front of the Eifel Tower. One of the guys is checking his iphone.  Boy was he ahead of his time.