Are You Ready?

Some more pictures have been posted for your pleasure. The central theme to the last 2 batches of pictures is Gary Petersen. Gary was the driver on both trips, while no photos of Gary are included in the latest group, the traveller Marion, informed me he was. Marion cannot recall the date and trip number but believes it was a Troika, just like Kathy Schlegel's. The courier was an appointed passenger on the trip who struggled with the daily organization and events. The designated courier never went onto do any further trips.

Look for the tab "Troika No.? 1975 Marion Mitchell."

If you have read Kathy Schlegel's latest comment about her contributions she provides more reasons to post your pictures and stories.

My brother rightly pointed out that if nothing else this website has become a library. Now you have a place to store your pictures and just importantly your stories. What good are stories unless you share them?

Grant Short's pictures are still a work in progress but Grant I will get to them.

Re: Are You Ready?

kit carr
I've has a look thorough Marion's pictures.

It looks like a Troika to me, and probably was an early 1975 departure, I guess April or May. Shots of Bucharest, Odesssa, Kiev, and Berlin make that quite clear.

Sundowners were doing around 20 overlands a year then, so I guess the tour number to be between TK95 and TK105

The trip left from thr Blue Star by local bus, and picked up the Sundowners bus in Birganj, and went from there to Varanasi.

Chalker, in AL125 in 1976) was the first 11m coach up the Raj Path from Birganj, and there after all tours drove to Kathmandu via Pokhara. The Rajpath had too many deep "scallops" in the road for an 11m coach, and the route from Lumbini to Pokhara was more driveable.

I don't recognise any people from her photos, so can't add anything to the elusive "passenger courier" situation.

kit