Any Ideas?

A few of us have tried to invent ways to get others to participate in the forum or the website at large, without much success.

I am very well aware of two things; (1) There are the regular contributors, to which I think we are all grateful (2) There are many others that view the site, which is encouraging in its self.

To add to the dimension, diversification of subjects and personal experiences, What would you suggest we do to bring others on-board?

From a list provided from the committee that is in charge of organizing the Reunion, I have emailed all that I can to make them aware of the existence of this site. I know they are interested in staying in touch with the days of old for there are quite a few that catch up every few months in Sydney for lunch. A part from those, I feel confident that others are interested as well, it is just that we have not been able to draw on them to show it.

Mr Mike McDermott you are a fine master of the word, any suggestions?

Others I am interested in your thoughts as well.

Just as an adjunct; I am not dismayed just keen to add to what we already have.

Re: Any Ideas?

Colin Davidson-2
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Any Ideas?

kit carr
4hi vicar,

whatever happens you cant make people contribute.

they either will or wont depending on their whim.

the key is to not worry about those that dont or cant.

it is like anything in life, in that there will always be some who get involved and some that dont.

enjoy what is there.

kit

Re: Any Ideas?

Mike McDermott
Hi Vicar,

>Mr Mike McDermott you are a fine master of the word, any suggestions?

Whoa, big ask! I'll have to think about it, but I am pretty happy with present company.

Have a look at indiaoverland.biz. Your site is doing far more in terms of current activity, which you can see by comparing the dates of the most recent posts there in comparison with yours.

Basically, I agree with Kit, but within that framework I guess there are two major directions; to cast a wider net, or go deeper with it. An example of the former would be that indiaoverland site, but as I said that's very quiet. An example of the latter might be to try to make this site a focus for digital reunions for specific trips, and may be even trip reunions emerging from that. In my experience, all such trip reunions have been on the initiative of passengers, not me or my drivers. Have any road crew here present tried to initiate one? Perhaps we could think about that, but it's hardly likely to lead to a major increase.

In that deeper direction again; perhaps how our experiences on the overland have or have not shaped our views on current affairs in that turbulent region? That would likely generate controversy and thereby more hits, but I am not sure that I would welcome that here. I don't see that as the point. I see the point as what Sid McKinley told me; that it was our time, literally the time of our lives, or at worst at least one special part of the lives of each of us that so very few were fortunate enough to experience.

Personally, though, I am very happy with what you have done. At the beginning, I did not think that you would get the response that you already have. So I thank you Vicar.

Mike

Re: Any Ideas?

Kathy Schlegel
Hi Kit et al,
 Very true re getting ex passengers actively involved. I have had the names of fellow passengers on 1977 TK 159 plus a few photos up on this site, "Indiaoverland" and "Tripreunions"  for at least 12 months (give or take) and so far have had only one response as a result. Through Kit I was able to initiate contact with two others who responded, but then seemed to lose interest. Sometimes I wonder if what some of us regard as the life changing "trip of a lifetime" is an experience that others would prefer to forget. From a personal point of view, I gained such an insight into the cultures of countries far removed from my own that even now I understand better what underlies those countries that are war torn and filled with conflict. It makes one wonder what such ex passengers got out of travelling overland and if they are still travelling.
I enjoy this site and check it regularly, even if I don't often contribute. Do not despair and keep up the good work!

Re: Any Ideas?

Mike McDermott
Hi Kathy,

I agree with all you said.

It's hard to tell about others, though. I remember there was a passenger who was a very unhappy chappie on a trip I did with Simon. He got me to thinking that you could take someone to heaven and they would complain about how kitsch the pearly gates were.

Years later, I met him again on someone else's overland. As usual, the crews stopped to compare notes. I walked down to the back of the other coach, and there he was. I was gobsmacked!  "Chris! What are you doing here?!?" "Mike, I lost all the photos from my last trip, so I have had to do it all over again".

I was completely lost for words (sorry, Vicar!).

With luck, he is enjoying those photos still.

Mike

Re: Any Ideas?

Johnno
 Vicar,

I agree with the above comments, which I believe comes down the phrase we always tell our partners," It's not how big it is, it's what you do with it".

A nessessary attitude in our bygone days was not too take ourselves too seriously and I believe that is the key here, to keep it light and poke a bit of fun of ourselves and others along the way. It is the part of the Antipodean phsyche and key to long term mateships.This is what should attract people to become participents in the site.

 Like any great journey there are drivers and there are passengers who just sit back and enjoy the ride. And as any driver will attest there are couriers who will tell you which direction to take but basically keep up the good work, it is heading in the direction in which you set out and provides enjoyment both actively or passively to many people.

I believe the physical reunion in Oct will spark a renewed interest in keeping in touch with old friends through the site and many will come on board, again some will particpate and some will just watch but if we can germinate a few seeds there and as we all hopefully get a bit more time on our hands in the future this will sustain the site as a living organism. Then again we may all just get pissed, have a huge hangover and hope to forget why we thought we could still handle it.

I do encourage those reading to jump in, stick your head up and just say hello and tell us your journey.