Address/Photos of Sundowner Accommodation, Palace Street London

Address/Photos of Sundowner Accommodation, Palace Street London

Kathy Schlegel
I'll be going to London shortly & would like to check out where my husband & I stayed for a couple of weeks in Sundowner's in Palace Street in 1978. Is the building still there? Unfortunately, at the time we did not think to take photos of the street view of the Sundowner's accommodation & my memory is a bit hazy as to what the building façade looked like. Have checked it out on Google maps & street view, but am not sure if the building even exists anymore. I would be most grateful should anyone have either photos or the address in Palace Street, could you please post it on the forum/ pictures area of the web site? If so, I will raise a glass or two to you in either the Cask & Glass or the Phoenix (or maybe both!) when I get there.
Have also Googled the Boka Hotel in Earls Court where we stayed for a couple of weeks in 1977 after completing Troika overland. Am amazed that it is still operating.....after all this time! Will try to get there also to take photos. Funny how one never thinks to do it at the time....
Cheers
Kathy

Re: Address/Photos of Sundowner Accommodation, Palace Street London

Johnno McCabe
Hi Kathy,

You can find the photo of the original 13 Palace Street Hostel on my photo section which can be located at:
 http://your-pictures.1053811.n5.nabble.com/Sundowner-Palace-Street-Hostel-1979-td4758325.html

Plus there is also a photo of the Cask and Glass:
http://your-pictures.1053811.n5.nabble.com/The-Cask-amp-Glass-Palace-St-Victoria-1979-td4758267.html

and The Pheonix:
http://your-pictures.1053811.n5.nabble.com/The-Pheonix-pub-Palace-St-Victoria-td4758253.html

There are some other "people" photos taken of the 1978 hostel crowd in this section.

Alas, it appears that nothing really remains of the original Palace Street building which I believe is part of the Queens estate but at one stage was occupied by British Airways. I last checked it out directly in 2008 but it was unrecognizable then. It was probably gutted and a new facade added to hide the sins of the colonials who occupied the building.

The good news is that the quaint and tiny Cask and Glass pub and the across the road pub The Phoenix appear to have survived so they should be worth a pint or two. Likewise The Colonies also in Wilfred Street and The Grafton were also hostel favourites. Ahh so many choices and so little time!

I don't recall the Boka Hotel but in my time the first night many punters spent in London was the Hunters Hotel or Lodge in Trebovir Road Earls Court run by Ken and Sheila at about 4 pounds per night multiple share. It now appears to be called the Trebovir hotel and is decidedly upmarket from the days of the late 70's, obviously a Dave "Jingle Bells' renovation.

Enjoy your trip to the UK via the "quick route" and let us all know about your re experience of London.

Regards

Johnno

Re: Address/Photos of Sundowner Accommodation, Palace Street London

Kathy Schlegel
Many thanks Johnno Will check it out