About You

Over to you now

Re: About You

Janet MacLeod Trotter
Hi, I'm Jan, a Swagman cuckoo in the Sundowner nest!  But as an overlander I thought my experiences would be similar and fun to share. I went London to Kathmandu in Sept 76 with Asian Greyhound Swagman Tours - driver was Geoff Lawrence. I'd just left school and was 18 years old (what were my parents thinking of letting me go?!) But my 3 older brothers had all taken off for a year between school and uni and I was determined to do the same - chose India because my grandparents had lived and worked there in the 20s and 30s (there was a tiger's head in their porch and I'd ingested Barbar the Elephant stories from a young age!)

It took over 3 months for us to get to Kathmandu and a lot of us stayed together there over Christmas.  I then got stuck in Delhi trying to get home - but that's another story!

I've blogged about the trip (with photos - don't hold your breath as they are 1970s instamatics!) and it also lead to me writing a mystery novel, The Vanishing of Ruth. (That's how I found your site because Mike read it and left a nice comment, mentioning Sundowners).
There's more info about the trip etc on my Facebook Page Overlanders if you want to take a look.  Are you going to make a Facebook Page for this site?  It might help spread the word. In the meantime I'll put a link on mine.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Overlanders/341194588115

I blame you for hours being diverted from work while I got lost in slide shows etc!  Fantastic actually.  Thanks, and I'll try and get some bits posted up here in the weeks to come.